- Indus Valley Civilization, Mohen-jo-Daro & Harappa
- Birth of Buddha, founder of Buddhism
- Alexander’s invasion of India
- First Battle of Tarain (Thaneshwar)
- Second Battle of Tarain (Thaneshwar)
- Discovery of sea-route to India by Vasco-daGama
- First Battle of Panipat
- Second Battle of Panipat
- Battle of Talikota between Delhi Sultanate and Vijayanagar ruler Ramaraja.
- Ramaraja was killed.
- East India Company established
- Battle of Plassey
- Battle of Wandiwash.
- French power ended.
- Third Battle of Panipat.
- Battle of Buxar.
- First Railway line opened in India between Thana and Bombay
- First War of Independence (Sepoy Mutiny)
- 2.10.1869, Birth of Mahatma Gandhi at Porbander
- First Census taken
- Indian National Congress was founded by A.O. Hume.
- Australian Commonwealth proclaimed.
- Russian and Britain, agrees of the partition of China.
- First partition of Bengal under Lord Curzon.
- Foundation of Muslim League.
- 1909 Minto-Morley Reforms.
- Mother Teresa born in Albania.
- Delhi becomes the capital – Partition of Bengal revoked – King George V crowned King of the United Kingdom and Emperor or India – First British King and Queen land in Bombay.
- Titanic, World’s biggest ship, sinks in North Atlantic, Killing 1513 people – The 5th Olympic Games held in Stockholm.
- The first Asian, Rabindranath Tagore is awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.
- World War I declared.
- World War I ends.
- “Satyagraha Movement” started by Gandhiji.
- Jallianwala Bagh Massacre on 13th April 1919 at Amritsar.
- “Civil Disobedience Movement” started by Gandhiji.
- “Dandi March” by Gandhiji on 6.4.1930. Burma separated from India.
- Death of Rabindranath Tagore (The first Indian to win the Nobel Prize for his work “Gitanjali”).
- “Quit India Resolution”.
- 15.8.1947 India attained Independence.
- 30.1.1948 Assassination of Gandhiji.
- 26.11.1949 Indian Constitution passed.
- 26.1.1950 India became a Sovereign Democratic Republic.
- Free India holds her First General Elections.
- State Reorganisation Act came into force on 1.11.1956.
- Decimal system of coinage introduced.
- January 4th Indo-Pak Summit, Tashkent Declaration signed on January 10.
- Death of Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- Simla Agreement between India and Pakistan (July 3)
- India’s first Satellite “Äryabhatta” launched from Cosmodrome in Soviet Union on April 19.
- “Aryabhatta”. Sikkim becomes 22nd State of the Indian Union.
- State of Emergency declared.
- India – China re-establishes diplomatic relations.
- Sixth General Elections, Morarji Desai sworn in as the first non-Congress Prime Minister.
- Neelam Sanjiva Reddy elected Sixth President of India.
- “Bhaskara”, India’s second Satellite launched into space. India’s first coalition Government between Janata (S) and the Congress sworn in with Mr. Charan Singh as P.M.
- Seventh General Elections held, Indira Gandhi sworn in as Prime Minister.
- Giani Zail Singh elected as Seventh President of India.
- IX Asian Games opened in New Delhi.
- Bachendri Pal, first Indian woman to scale the Mount Everest.
- Mrs. Indira Gandhi assassinated.
- Rajiv Gandhi becomes the Prime Minister.
- Congress completes 100 years.
- Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh becomes 23rd and 24th States.
- Goa becomes 25th State.
- Mr. R. Venkataraman sworn in as Eleventh President.
- M.G.Ramachandran (MGR.) was given Bharat Ratna Award posthumously.
- Ninth Lok Sabha constituted. National Front Leader V.P.Singh sworn in as 10th Prime Minister.
- Nelson Mandela, leader of the African National Congress was set free after 27 years of imprisonment by the South African Government.
- Iraq captured Kuwait.
- Tenth Lok Sabha constituted. P.V.Narasimha Rao becomes the Twelfth Prime Minister of India.
- Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, assassinated at Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu.
- India’s First indigenous multi-purpose Satellite “INSAT 2A” was launched successfully from Kourou in French Guyana. – Festival of India was held in China.
- The disputed Babri Masjid in Ayodhya (UP) was demolished by Kar-sevaks.
- The world’s biggest ever trade deal General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) was signed on 15th December at Geneva, nearly 117 nations participated.
- Sushmita Sen (18) first Indian selected for Miss. Universe held at Manila, Philippines. Brazil won the World Cup Football held at United States, Shoemaker-Levy Comet collided with the Gaseous Planet Jupiter on July 17, 19, 20 & 31.
- Jan.26 : Nelson Mandela, was the Chief Guest on the Republic Day celebrations at New Delhi.
- Jan. 10-21 : 27th International Film Festival held at New Delhi.
- July 19 – Aug. 4 : Atlanta Olympics held – India won 1 bronze medal.
- Jan 10 : The 28th International Film Festival of India held at Thiruvananthapuram.
- July 25 : Mr. K. R. Narayan sworn in as 13th President of India.
- Aug 15 : India celebrates Golden Jubilee of Indian Independence.
- Jan 10-20 : The 29th International Film Festival of India held at New Delhi.
- Jan 26 : India celebrates its 49th Republic Day, Chief Guest : French President Mr. Jacques Chirac.
- Mar 01 :Bharat Ratna conferred on Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam,
- Mar 19 : Mr.A.B. Vajpayee becomes 16th Prime Minister of India.
- May 11 : India conducts three Nuclear tests at Pokhran.
- May 13 : India conducts two more tests at Pokhran.
- May 28 : Pakistan conducts nuclear atom bomb test.
- July 12 : France won World Cup-1998.
- May 26-July 17 India – Pakistan Kargil War.;
- Oct.10 : 13th Lok Sabha Elections – Mr.Vajpayee sworn in as Prime Minister.;
- Dec.5 : Mumbai girl Yukta Mookhey becomes Miss World. –
- Dec.24 – 31 : Indian Airlines(IC-814) hijacked by terrorists and hostages released at Khandhar.
- Mar.22 : India’s INSAT-3B launched
- Aug.28 : President gives his assent to the Bills relating to the creation of the new states of Uttaranchal, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh.
- Sep.30 : Gen.S.Padmanabhan takes over as the new Chief of Army Staff from Gen.V.P. Malik.
- Dec.24 : Vishwanathan Anand becomes World Chess Champion.
- Jan.12 : First genetically engineered monkey created (Andy) by scientists in US.
- March.1: The nation’s population touches 1.02 billion comprising 531,277,078 men and 495,738,169 women.
- Sep.11: Terrorists attack the World Trade Centre in New York-the 110-storey twin towers.
- Jan.6 : India’s 21st Antartica expedition leaves- team headed by Dr. Prem Chand Pandey.
- Feb.27-28 Attack on Sabarmati Express by militants – Ram Sevaks from Ayodhya torched at Gadhra railway station.;
- April.2 : POTO (Prevention of Terrorism Ordinance) gets assent from the President after a joint sitting of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
- May.10 : Mr. Joshi, is the new speaker of Lok Sabha