1. Monazite is an ore of–
2. The gas usually causing explosions in coal mines is–
3. Cotton fibers are made of–
4. Which of the following ores does not contain iron?
5. Which variety of glass is heat resistant ?
A. Hard glass
B. Flint glass
C. Pyrex glass
D. Bottle glass
6. Which of the following is used for removing air bubbles from glass during its manufacture ?
B. Arsenic oxide
C. Potassium Carbonate
D. Soda Ash
7. What are soaps ?
A. Salts of silicates
B. Ester of heavy fatty acids
C. Sodium or potassium salts of heavier fatty acids
D. Mixture of glycerol and alcohol
8. In which following processes light energy is converted into chemical energy ?
9. Cooking oil can be converted into vegetables ghee by the process of–
10. Photosynthesis is–
A. An exothermic process
B. An endothermic process
C. A neutral process
D. A thermostatic process
11. J. B. Sumner isolated first enzyme from Jackbeans as–
12. Enzymes are absent in–
13. The enzymes sucrase acts on–
A. sucrose only
B. sucrose and starch
C. all disaccharides
D. any organic monomer
14. C.T. Scanning uses–
A. Ultrasound waves
B. Gamma rays
D. None of the above
15. Chemically ‘speropolenin’ is a / an–
A. co-polymer of carotinoid and fatty acid
D. Lactic acid
16. A mixture of salt and sand can be separated by–
B. Dissolving water
C. Gravity separation
D. Dry distillation
17. PVC is obtained by the polymerisation of–
B. vinyl chloride
18. The most abundant metal in the earth’s crust is–
19. The gas used to extinguish fire is–
C. Carbon dioxide
D. Carbon Monoxide
20. In which of the following activities Silicon Carbide is used ?
A. Making cement and glass
B. Disinfecting water and ponds
C. Making castes for statues
D. Cutting very hard substances
21. The two elements that are frequently used for making transistors are–
A. Boron and Aluminium
B. Silicon and Germenium
C. Iridium and Tungsten
D. Niobium and Columbium
22. Which of the following gas is not known as green house gas ?
B. Carbon dioxide
C. Nitrous oxide
23. Which of the following is not a neutral oxide ?
A. Carbon Monoxide
B. Sulphur Dioxide
D. Nitric Oxide
24. Potassium Permanganate is used for purifying drinking water, because–
A. It dissolves the impurities of water
B. It is a sterilizing agent
C. It is an oxidising agent
D. It is a reducing agent.
25. The presence of which of the following salts in water causes corrosion in steam boilers ?
A. Sodium Chloride
B. Magnesium Chloride
C. Calcium bicarbonate
D. Potassium bicarbonate
26. Water is a good solvent of ionic salts because–
A. It has no colour
B. It has a boiling point
C.) It has a high dipole moment
D. It has a high specific heat
27. Nuclear fission is caused by the impact of–
D. (A) and (b)
28. Which is a good nuclear fuel ?
A. Uranium – 238
B. Neptunium – 239
C. Thorium – 236
D. Plutonium – 236
29. Long distance photography is facilitated by–
A. Visible light
C. Infra Red rays
D. Ultra violet rays
30. Which of the following is used in making artificial sweetener saccharine ?
31. Rayon is chemically–
32. Which of following is used as a filter in rubber tyres?
D. Carbon lack
33. Which of the following substances exhibit the property of sublimation ?
D. Ethyl Alcohol
34. Combustion is the process in which–
A. Heat is produced
B. Light is produced
C. Heat and Light is produced
D. None of these
35. The chemical used as a fixer in photography is–
B. Sodium thiosulphate
C. Sodium Sulphate
D. Ammonium persulphate
36. Vitamins are–
A. inorganic substances which cannot be synthesized by animals
B. inorganic by animals
C organic substances that cannot be generally synthesized by animals
D. organic substances which can be commonly synthesized by animals
37. Richest source of vitamin B1 (thiamine) is–
A cod liver oil
C. whole bread meal
38. One of these vitamins is called erythrocyte maturation factor–
39. Saponification involves the hydrolysis of fats and oils by–
B. washing soda
C. stearic acid
D. caustic soda
40. Photo-synthesis is a/ an–
A. exothermic process
B. endothermic process
C. a neutral process
D. a thermostatic process
41. Which of the following is a physical change ?
42. The process by which an organic compound breaks down into simpler compounds on heating to high temperature is known as–
43. The element common to all acids is–
44. Gobar gas contains mainly–
B. Carbon dioxide
D. Carbon Monoxide
45. The most malleable metal is–
46. Which of the following is used in making smoke bombs ?
47. Caustic Soda is–
48. Chemical formula of Water glass is–
49. The hardest substance available in earth is–
50. Which of the following is the best conductor of electricity ?
51. The ratio of pure gold in 18 carat gold is–
52. Which radioactive pollutant has recently drawn the attention of the public due to its occurance in the building materials ?
53. In an atomic explosion enormous energy is released which is due to the–
A. Conversions of neutrons into protons
B. Conversion of chemical energy into nuclear energy
C. Conversion of mechanical energy into nuclear energy
D. Conversion of mass into energy
54. Which of the following is used as a coolant in nuclear reactors ?
A. Heavy water
C. Liquid sodium
55. In vulcanization, natural rubber is heated with–
56. Which type of fire extinguisher is used for petroleum fire ?
A. Foam type
B. Soda acid type
C. Powder type
D. None of these
57. Which is/ are the important raw materials in cement industry ?
B. Gypsum and Clay
D. Limestone and Clay
58. A mixture of iron filings and sand can be separated by–
C. Hand picking
D. Magnetic Separation