Paper IV- TECHNIQUES IN BIOLOGY
Maximum 75 marks Time: Three hours
(No additional sheet will be supplied)
PART A( 5 x 3= 15 marks)
- Answer any FIVE questions.
- Each questions carries 3 marks.
- Each answer hould not exceed 1 page.
1. Beer Lambert Law
2. Application of Biological Buffers
3. Radio Isotopes
5. Isoelectric focusing
6. Scintillation Counter.
7. Cell Proliferation
PART B (4 x 15 =60 marks)
- Answer ALL questions.
- Each questions carries 15 marks.
- Each answer should not exceed 6 pages.
9. What are different types of microscopes? Describe the Electron microscope and its applications
10. What are the basic principles of Centrifugation? Deseribe Ultracentrifuge.
11. What is Chromatography? Describe the lon Exchange and Affinity chromatography.
12. Describe the radioactivity detection and its measurement. Write its applications in Biological Sciences.
13. How the Electrophoresis works? Describe the Principle involved with an example of SDS PAGE.
14. the different types of Blotting Techniques with an emphasis on Southern and Northern Blott.
15. Describe the preparation of different culture media and their applications in cell Culture.
16. Describe the Tissue Culture Laboratory and what precautions are taken in its maintenance.